these are a wonderful reminder of st. cecilia and the colors of piety.
- yellow or white cake mix
prep the cake as specified on the box. we used 3 boxes since we had plan to bake these for a parish girls bake sale.
divide the cake into 6 bowls. we used a little over one cup per bowl. add icing coloring to the bowls. one color per bowl. a little goes a long way.
fill the cupcake liners with the different colors. we used a table spoon to layer the colors.
i always use meg’s recipe for frosting, a family fav. it’s super easy and always tasty.
- 2 sticks of butter at room temp
- 1 bag of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (to taste)
- 1 tbs milk (to desired consistency)
- soften the butter with a mixer to remove all lumps
- add 3/4 of the the bag of powdered sugar
- add tsp of vanilla
- add milk until it is thick enough to stand on your spatula but thin enough to spread nicely. we like ours creamy, cool whip-like.
ice the cupcakes and decorate. we use rainbow nerds and skittles. they look cute and add some sweet and fruity flavor. i think they help make the rainbow come to life.
they turned out so yummy that we decided to eat some and share some with our guests. good thing we made 3 boxes. there were 24 kids between the 3 families.