Matthias, one of the seventy-two disciples of Jesus, was chosen in the place of Judas. St. Matthias preached the Gospel more then thirty years in Judea, Cappadocia, Egypt, and Ethiopia. He was stoned by the Jews in 80.
Traditional Calendar – February 24 ~ New Calendar – May 14
DOUBLE, SECOND CLASS / RED
After the Ascension of Jesus, St. Peter proposed to the assembled faithful that they choose a disciple of Christ to fill the place of the traitor Judas in the first missionary band. Lots were drawn, with the result in favor of Matthias. According to one ancient tradition, this missioner labored in Ethiopia and was martyred there. Thus did St. Matthias receive "the crown of life which God has promised to those who love Him" (James 1:12).
Symbols: Halbert; lance; carpenter's square; sword held by its point; axe; saw; scroll; scimitar and book; stone; battle axe; two stones; long cross; hatchet.
Patron: Alcoholism; carpenters; reformed alcoholics; smallpox; tailors; diocese of Gary; Indiana; diocese of Great Falls-Billings, Montana.
Preface of the Apostles
It it truly meet and just, right and for our salvation, to entreat Thee humbly, O Lord, that Thou wouldst not desert Thy flock, O everlasting Shepherd, but, through Thy blessed Apostles, wouldst keep it under Thy constant protection; that it may be governed by those same rulers, whom as vicars of Thy work, Thou didst set over it to be its pastors. And therefore with Angels and Archangels, with Thrones and Dominations, and with all the hosts of the heavenly army, we sing the hymn of Thy glory, evermore saying:
The Apostles cast lots to choose a replacement for Judas
- St. Matthias - Symbol Coloring Page – Catholic Mom. with traditional feast day listed
- St. Matthias the 12th Apostle Coloring Page – Bible Printables. you will need to copy and paste the image into a word document to print.
- St. Matthias Bio for Kids – Holy Spirit Interactive
- St. Matthias Bio – EWTN
- St. Matthias Bio – Golden Legend
- Hymn for St. Matthias – Catholic Culture
- St. Matthias Story and Feast Day Ideas – Catholic Culture. Lucky #13. Happy Feast Day to You…..!
- Call of St. Matthias – St. John Chrysostom – The Crossroads Initiative
- Chrysostom on St. Matthias - Prayer to the Holy Spirit - Ember Days – Fr. John Zuhlsdorf. 37:47m
O Saint Matthias, glorious apostle and martyr of Jesus Christ, who, by the special providence of God, wast added to the eleven apostles in the room of the traitor, I humbly beseech thee to obtain for us the grace of Him Who chose thee from all eternity, that, assisted thereby, we may, after thy example, keep the commandments of God, practice good works, and thus merit to be numbered with the elect. Through Jesus Christ our Lord,... Amen.
turn off music (in the bottom left menu) before playing
homily is 11.08 min. it starts at 7:50.