The O Antiphons are short prayers sung before and after the Magnificat(Luke 1:46-55).
17 Dec. O Sapientia – Wisdom
O Sapientia, quae ex ore Altissimi prodidisti, attingens a fine usque ad finem, fortiter suaviter disponensque omnia: veni ad docendum nos viam prudentiae.
O Wisdom, who came from the mouth of the Most High, reaching from end to end and ordering all things mightily and sweetly: come, and teach us the way of prudence.
18 Dec. O Adonai – Lord
O Adonai, et Dux domus Israel, qui Moysi in igne flammae rubi apparuisti, et ei in Sina legem dedisti: veni ad redimendum nos in brachio extento..
O Lord and Ruler the house of Israel, who appeared to Moses in the flame of the burning bush and gave him the law on Sinai: come, and redeem us with outstretched arms.
19 Dec. O Radix Jesse – Root
O Radix Jesse, qui stas in signum populorum, super quem continebunt reges os suum, quem gentes deprecabuntur: veni ad liberandum nos, iam noli tardare.
O Root of Jesse, that stands for an ensign of the people, before whom the kings keep silence and unto whom the Gentiles shall make supplication: come, to deliver us, and tarry not.
20 Dec. O Clavis David – Key
O clavis David, et sceptrum domus Israel: qui aperis, et nemo claudit; claudis, et nemo aperit: veni, et educ vinctum de domo carceris, sedentem in tenebris.
O Key of David, and scepter of the house of Israel, who opens and no man shuts, who shuts and no man opens: come, and lead forth the captive who sits in the shadows from his prison.
21 Dec. O Oriens – Dawn
O Oriens, splendor lucis aeternae, et sol iustitiae: veni, et illumina sedentes in tenebris et umbra mortis.
O dawn of the east, brightness of light eternal, and sun of justice: come, and enlighten those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death.
22 Dec. O Rex Gentium – King
O Rex gentium, et desideratus earum, lapisque angularis, qui facis utraque unum: veni, et salva hominem, quem de limo formasti.
O King of the gentiles and their desired One, the cornerstone that makes both one: come, and deliver man, whom you formed out of the dust of the earth.
23 Dec. O Emmanuel – Emmanuel
O Emmanuel, Rex et legifer noster, exspectatio gentium, et Salvator earum: veni ad salvandum nos Domine Deus noster.
O Emmanuel, God with us, our King and lawgiver, the expected of the nations and their Savior: come to save us, O Lord our God.
Take the first letters of each of the titles, starting with the last and working back to the first. You spell: EROCRAS or "ero cras... I will be (there) tomorrow".
Titles and Prayer Requests
Meditation Notes on the “O Antiphons” - Father Roger J. Landry
- O Sapientia — Teach us the way of prudence
- O Adonai et Dux — Come to redeem us with arm outstretched
- O radix Iesse — Come to free us without delay
- O clavis David — Free us from prison of darkness & shadow of death
- O oriens — Illumine those sitting in darkness & the shadow of death
- O Rex gentium — Save man whom you formed from the dust
- O Emmanuel — Come to save us
- O Antiphons – F. Z
- O Antiphons – Fish Eaters
- O Antiphons Prayer Companion – Family Feast and Feria
- O Antiphon Colored – Printable Symbols – Family-Centered Living
- O Antiphon Printable Symbols – Sanctus Simplicitus
- O Antiphon Coloring Pages – O Night Divine
- O Anitphon Wreath – Under Her Starry Mantel
- O Antiphon Craft – Waltzing Matilda
- O Anitphon Craft Ideas – Catholic Icing
O Antiphons Playlist