¡Viva Cristo Rey! ¡Viva la Virgen de Guadalupe!
"Long live Christ the King! Long live the Virgin of Guadalupe!"
This post was inspiried by my family’s recent viewing of the film, For Greater Glory.
The Cristero War is a chapter in Mexico's history in the 1920s, when thousands of Catholics answered this crucial question [of religious freedom] at the cost of their very lives. President Plutarco Calles launched a direct attack on the Catholic Church using articles from Mexico's Constitution, which created this uprising and counter-revolution against the Mexican government during that time. The original rebellion was set off by the persecution of Roman Catholics and a ban on their public religious practices.
My Jesus Mercy! My sins are more numerous than the drops of blood that Thou did shed for me. I do not deserve to belong to the army that defends the rights of Thy Church and that fights for her. I desire never to sin again so that my life might be an offering pleasing to Thy eyes. Wash away my iniquities and cleanse me of my sins. By Thy Holy Cross, by my Holy Mother of Guadalupe, pardon me.
Since I do not know how to make penance for my sins, I desire to receive death as a chastisement merited by them. I do not wish to fight, live or die except for Thee and for Thy Church. Blessed Mother of Guadalupe, be at my side in the agony of this poor sinner. Grant that my last shout on earth and my first canticle in Heaven should be Viva Cristo Rey! Amen
A list of priests and laymen who have been beatified and canonized from this persecution in Mexico.
St. Agustín Caloca-St. Atilano Cruz Alvarado-St. Cristobal Magallanes-St. David Galván Bermudes-St. David Roldán Lara-St. David Uribe Velasco-St. Jenaro Sánchez Delgadillo-St. Jesús Méndez Montoya-St. José Isabel Flores Varela-St. José Maria Robles Hurtado (Priest)*-St. Jóven Salvador Lara Puente-St. Julio Álvarez Mendoza-St. Justino Orona Madrigal-St. Luis Batiz Sáinz (Priest)*-St. Manuel Morales-St. Margarito Flores García-St. Mateo Correa Magallanes (Priest)*-St. Miguel De La Mora (Priest)*-St. Pedro de Jesús Maldonado Lucero (Priest)*-St. Pedro Esqueda Ramírez-St. Rodrigo Aguilar Alemán (Priest)*-St. Román Adame Rosales-St. Sabas Reyes Salazar-St. Tranquilino Ubiarco-St. Toribio Romo González-Blessed Anacleto González Flores-Blessed Andrés Solá Molist (Priest)*-Blessed Ángel Darío Acosta Zurita (Priest)-Blessed Ezequiel Huerta Gutiérrez-Blessed Jorge Vargas González-Blessed José Sánchez del Río-Blessed José Trinidad Rangel Montaño (Priest) *-Blessed Leonardo Pérez Larios*-Blessed Luis Magaña Servín-Blessed Luis Padilla Gómez-Blessed Miguel Gómez Loza-Blessed Mateo Elías del Socorro Nieves (Priest)-Blessed Miguel Agustin Pro Juárez (Priest)-Blessed Ramón Vargas González-Blessed Salvador Huerta Gutiérrez-* Indicates member of Knights of Columbus
- For Greater Glory: The True Story of Cristeros – EWTN 30 min video
- A Prayer of the Cristeros of Jalisco
- Cristeros - Soliders of Christ – 15 min video with subtitles
- 1927-1929 La Cristiada – 12 min video excerpted from 1910-1929: Revolution and its Culture
- The Cristeros – Part I - The Spaniards Land in Mexico
- The Cristeros – Part II - Long Live the Virgin of Guadalupe!
- The Cristeros – Part III - Hildalgo Raises the Standard of Revolt
- Viva Cristo Rey! The Cristeros Versus the Mexican Revolution
- Encyclicals of Pope Pius XI
- Cristero War – general info page from gen. sources
- The Cristero War: the Story Behind the Cover Up – Article with insight from historian
- Bl. Jose Sanchez del Rio Site – this site is in Spanish but there are many great visuals
Activities for Kids
- Bl. Miguel Pro Paper Doll – Paper Dali
- Blessed Miguel Pro Linky Fiesta – Paper Dali share links, printables, and activities
- Bl. Miguel Pro Saint Folder – My Little Flower
Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong. ~ 1 Corinthians 16:13