O God, Who gladden us by the annual festival of Your Martyrs Januarius and Companions, grant that we may be inspired by the example of those in whose merits we rejoice.
Through Jesus Christ, thy Son our Lord, Who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end.
SAINT JANUARIUS AND HIS COMPANIONS
EMBER WEDNESDAY IN SEPTEMBER
OUR LADY OF LA SALETTE
DOUBLE / RED
In the year 304 Januarius, bishop of Benevento, three deacons, a lector, and two laymen were beheaded at Pozzuoli, Italy, under Emperor Diocletian. The courage of Bishop Januarius in facing death brought about the conversion of many pagan onlookers. His body was eventually taken to Naples, of which city he has become the patron saint. According to reliable records, some of his blood preserved in a phial has miraculously liquefied at regular intervals during the past four hundred years.
Patron: patron of Naples, Italy; blood banks; volcanic eruptions.
Symbols: heated oven; two red vials on Bible; bishop's mitre (headdress); palm frond (symbol of martrydom); crown (of martyrdom).
O protector of your sheep, you laid down your life for them, giving your blood for the service of souls that all might witness the surpassing love of the Lord and the glory that awaits those who die in Him – pray for shepherds who feed their sheep, not lording it over them or seeking what gain they might find for themselves, taking the milk and wool of their flock and leaving them naked and lifeless…but living the call of Christ as you, dear shepherd, have done. Pray those who govern God’s Church will be ready even to die for Him and the people they serve. Let all be protected by the blood of the Lamb.
- St. Januarius Bio – EWTN
- The Life of St. Januarius
- St. Januarius – Catholic Culture
- Latin Mass Propers Online - September 19th, 2012 - DivinumOfficium.Com
- Collect of the Day: Ember Wednesday in September – Ember Day reflection from Dom Guéranger, O.S.B. – Ars Orandi
- St. Januarius Bio for Kids – Holy Spirit Interactive
Video & Audio:
- Sep 19 – Homily – Fr George: St. Januarius, Bishop and Martyr
- Liquefying Blood of St. Januarius – Relic Video from Bobby’s Blog
- St. Januarius Reflection – Apostleship of Prayer
- St. Januarius - American Catholic
- Prayer to St. Januarius – The Bread Cast
- Mass & Office, for 19 Sep 2012 - Monastero San Benedetto
- Office for 19 Sep 2012 - The Chant of Le Barroux
- San Gennaro Il miracolo del sangue sciolto a Napoli – The video from the 1970s shows the San Gennaro procession through the streets of Naples followed by pictures of the liquefaction. Non-Italian speakers may skip the first 60 seconds of the video.
San Gennaro, and his companions, pray for us!