Virgin and Martyr
Feast – December 13
Lucy, patron of Sicily, and one of the saints of the Canon of the Mass, was martyred at Syracuse in the persecution of Diocletian about the year 304. The legend of her martyrdom says that she was denounced as a Christian by a rejected suitor. Refusing to apostatize, she was condemned to a brothel, but a mysterious force prevented the persecutors from moving her from the tribunal. After an unsuccessful attempt had been made to burn her to death, her neck was pierced with a dagger.
O God, our Creator and Redeemer, Mercifully hear our prayers that a we venerate Thy servant, St. Lucy, for the light of faith Thou didst bestow upon her, Thou wouldst vouchsafe to increase and to preserve this same light in our souls, that we may be able to avoid evil, to do good and to abhor nothing so much as the blindness and the darkness of evil and of sin.
Relying on Thy goodness, O God, we humbly ask Thee, by the intercession of Thy servant, St. Lucy that Thou wouldst give perfect vision to our eyes, that they may serve for Thy greater honor and glory, and for the salvation of our souls in this world, that we may come to the enjoyment of the unfailing light of the Lamb of God in paradise.
St. Lucy, virgin and martyr, hear our prayer and obtain our petitions.
This year’s St. Lucy’s treat is a far stretch from that of last year’s feast day. It’s the result of parents feeling guilty that we have been “treatless” for many of he feast days this year. It’s what results when we return home at 10:30 pm the previous night from Mass & celebrations for Our Lady of Guadalupe. It’s us (as parents) making the best of our recent crosses and taking advantage of a good deal – Krispy Kreme offering free dozen donuts on 12.12.12. ALL FOR!
- St. Lucia Crowns – JOYfilledfamily
- St. Lucy ~ Loyalty Little Flowers Meeting - JOYfilledfamily
- St. Lucia & Star Boy Coloring – Waltzing Matilda
- St. Lucy of Syracuse Coloring – Waltzing Matilda
- St. Lucy Coloring Page – Sanctus Simplicitus (pg 18)
- St. Lucia Paper Doll – Paper Dali
- St. Lucy Paper Doll (colored)
- St. Lucy Word Find – Sanctus Simplicitus
- St. Lucy Maze – Sanctus Simplicitus
- Printable St. Lucia, St. Nicholas, Immaculate Conception Holy Cards – Sanctus Simplicitus
- Treats – Catholic Cuisine
- Previous years’ celebrations – JOYfilledfamily
Sparkles, the youngest girl in the family, served up the morning treat.